Copyright Scavenger Hunt
This week in EdTech502 we created a scavenger hunt to educate our learners about copyright.
As a librarian, I often face questions about copyright from faculty, and so I am familiar with the concepts. As the librarian for the National Sexual Violence Resource Center, I created their copyright policy which was then reviewed and approved by outside counsel. I am fortunate that we have a great Faculty Services office on campus who handle the details of copyright for library reserves and course-packs, including coordinating the copyright permissions through the Copyright Clearance Center; that is a large task!
I determined that my intended audience would be faculty who use faculty services for copyright issues. They often have questions, and perhaps Faculty Services could use this scavenger hunt as a basic educational tool.
I used sources with which I was already familiar: the United States Copyright Office, Association of Research Libraries, and our Faculty Services. There is so much misinterpretation on copyright, that a general Google search may bring up inaccurate information for our faculty. Much better to use authoritative sources for this important area.
I tend to fall into the camp of Fair Use that advocates for making full use of the law for educational purposes. In my work, I get the feeling that publishers would abolish fair use if they could, while individual authors are often very happy to grant copyright permission for reasonable educational use. Therefore, I feel that we as educators and librarians should educate ourselves and others about the Fair Use Guidelines, and make full use of them while abiding within their reasonable limits.
I felt that CSS coding is making much more sense this week. I think I turned the corner in understanding how it works. I felt I could figure out most of what I needed to do this week which was empowering! I even embedded a youtube video, following the example webpage, even though that was optional. My one challenge was that the youtube video does not validate in the W3C website, but this seems to be a global problem, not something that I did.